I love oatmeal, I love all oatmeal. But I especially love MY oatmeal. Here’s how to do it!
**Please note this image is not an exact replica of the recipe listed below. I have listed the changes that need to made to replicate this below. Changes are bolded and italicized.**
Makes: 1 serving (large) or 2 servings (small)
What you will need:
- 1/3 cup of rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of non-dairy milk (I used Coconut)
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Shredded coconut (sweetened or un-sweetened)
- Raisins/Dried apricot
- Almond/Chopped walnuts
- Pumpkin seeds/Chia seeds
Let’s get started:
- Pour the rolled oats, milk, and water into a sauce pan and cook on med-high until it starts boiling, then reduce heat to medium.
- Mash 1 banana and mix in with the oats along with the cocoa powder while still cooking, stir to combine.
- Add a dash of vanilla extract and a handful of shredded coconut, stir to combine.
- Continue cooking until liquid has mostly evaporated and/or it is at a consistency you like (I prefer mine to still have a little bit of liquid, but not much).
- Remove from heat and place into a serving bowl.
- To garnish I added almonds, pumpkin seeds, raisins and a little more shredded coconut. You can add whatever you like. In the photo I used Dried apricot, Chopped Walnuts, and Chia seeds.
I’ve been making my oatmeal this way for years. It tastes great and it is sweetened naturally by the banana, which makes it much more breakfast friendly if you ask me. I also love it because it is very basic and you can add just about any flavour to it. I usually add some cinnamon and/or nutmeg as well to give it a little extra something!
Have fun, post photos of your creations in the comments! Let me know what changes you made to make it yours.